Monday, August 17, 2015

In Loving Memory of Marion Lundberg Olson

          My great-great-aunt, Marion, recently passed away at 103 years old. She was a remarkably strong woman, especially for her age. I remember back when I was in elementary school (Marion was somewhere in her 80's) and Marion and I were kicking a soccer ball back and forth - she accidentally stepped on the ball and flew back onto her butt. She got right back up, laughed it off, and kept on playing. It was a golden moment and the whole thing was caught on home video. Up until her brief illness, Marion walked up to 3-4 miles a day on the Corridor Recreation Trail near her home. The last time Sara and I were up north to visit family, we ate dinner with my grandparents, Great-Uncle Bill, and my great-great-aunts: Marion and Elsie, at the family farm. This was the first time I heard that Marion had traveled the world in her younger years - her favorite place being Machu Picchu. I asked her, "Marion, if you could travel anywhere right now where would you go?" After a few second pause, while slightly leaned over the table staring at her plate, she mumbled, "well I don't know... probably somewhere I haven't been before."




          I shot this portrait of Marion in her bedroom this last May - keeping in mind that it very well could be the last time I saw her.

No comments:

Post a Comment